Anti-Adblocker Widget?

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Many DNN sites are smaller organizations, communities, or businesses.  Most of these sites who have advertising rely 100% on that advertising for revenue to keep the site up.  A anti-adblocker widget would not only give the organization's the ability to ask users not to block the ads but the resulting pop-up could also offer an opportunity to ask for donations.  WordPress has a plug-in such as this - it would be nice if DNN had one too!

Coordinator
Mar 3, 2011 at 5:29 AM

Can you post a link to the wordpress plugin?  I'd like to be able to understand the scope of this before I really invest any of the project resources into this.

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Sure,  WordPress Plugin is here:  http://omninoggin.com/wordpress-plugins/anti-adblock-wordpress-plugin/   Download link at bottom of page.

Can do this pretty easily with just javascript  (Tutorial here:  http://justfreetemplates.com/blog/2009/09/05/building-a-simple-anti-adblock-script.html)  but a widget would be nicer. Plus I like the ability the WordPress plugin has to set when the message displays and for how many visits, etc. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Please don't be offended but i think this is a very bad idea and not really needed either. Users are ones determining what to see, if they don't want to be bothered with ads and popups its their wish no matter how your wallet feels. If you have something really important to say, add something like page peel to your website. First thought of your visitors if you spit on them same advertisement they blocked last time = they won't visit your website again.

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM

@Xeevis  - I disagree.  The only time an I see a use for an ad blocker is if a website goes overboard and uses pop-over ads or other intrusive type ads.

As a website owner if my use of an anti-ad blocker script upsets you enough to want to leave my site then by all means "don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on the way out"  And if it upsets you enough that you don't return that's even better - in fact I would encourage those that use ad-blocker plugins to visit my competitor's sites rather than mine.  That way these users are leeching my competitor's time, effort, and money instead of mine.

It's pretty simple - servers, bandwidth, disk space, etc. all cost money - by using an ad-blocker plugin you are forcing website owners to erect pay walls instead of offering free websites supported by advertising.  Many web surfers don't realize that many of the top "free" sites today aren't really free - sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc. - you are paying with your privacy on these sites.  They track everything you do, post, "like", etc. and sell that to advertisers (or worse).  I would much rather ignore some simple banner ads than give up my privacy or have to pay for every site I go to!

Coordinator
Mar 15, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I must admit that while I see some usefulness behind this kind of feature, I also can see that it would be abused in many ways.  The abuse angle is something that frightens me.  I am quite conflicted to whether or not we should put something like this in the project.  

I will run it by the other project members, and see what they think.  Hopefully, they will weigh in here too.  

Developer
Mar 15, 2011 at 6:27 PM

As for me I also don't see use for this. If a user want to use an adblocker he is allowed to ( I also use these myself ) .If I find a site interesting I usually look for a donate button or accept the ads for the specified site. But this is done only  because I want to, not because I am alerted to.

If you want to have this in you site then please use the proposed JavaScript solution but I think we can find nicer things to include in the widgetsuite than somethign that may annoy people

Developer
Mar 16, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I don't think something this controversial really has a place in the Widget Suite. If somebody wants to make a standalone widget for it then that's fair enough, but I wouldn't say it's appropriate for this project.

Coordinator
Mar 16, 2011 at 3:57 PM

I think the team is unanimous.  While we'd love to add new features, and especially features requested by our actual project fans and users - we really want to maintain a certain level of credibility and quality in the project itself.  Not being diligent in protecting this would not only reflect poorly on this project, but could potentially reflect poorly on DotNetNuke itself.

We are truly sorry that we have chosen to not implement this feature for you, but we would welcome any all other suggestions and feedback.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I appreciate the team looking at the possibility of my suggestion and really appreciate the efforts they have invested into their widget project.  As Armand has stated there are other ways of implementing it.

I am very curious though as to the reasons for your opinions.  My opinion is exact opposite of several of the people here -  since being in the minority usually means you've missed something I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

As I see it, unless website owners use intrusive pop-over ads or obnoxious flashing lime green geo-cities type ads, it is VERY easy to simply ignore banner ads if you are not interested.  Knowing that banner ads are many website's only source of revenue combined with the understanding that website owners can know who is using ad-blockers I see the use of ad-blockers as beyond rude. Basically you are doing the digital equivalent of sending the website owner a big FU the entire time you're at their site.

While I understand this isn't the perfect forum for this conversation I would appreciate someone letting me know what I'm missing.

Thanks again for your efforts and contribution!

Coordinator
Mar 16, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I don't think this is really the appropriate forum for the remainder of this kind of discussion (marketing), but as a best practice, the average website visitor either ignores, blocks, or avoids advertising at all costs.  There are studies upon studies that verify this quite thoroughly.  Those costs will often incorporate membership or subscription fees - but only if the content is worth the premium of a fee.  Great examples of this include Experts Exchange and Pandora.  My experience has always been that if you intrusively introduce advertising, even if for a positive purpose, you will not only see a drop in lead generation, but you will also see a loss of website visitors.  Nothing turns away a website visitor faster and longer than intrusive advertising.  A great example of this would easily be MySpace.

I would much prefer to entertain the notion of incorporating advertising in ways that enhance content - not prevent you from getting value from the content.  For example, if you're part of an affiliate program, incorporate affiliate links into your content organically.  This has a much higher return and conversion rate for many reasons.  A great example is Amazon.  If you have content that gives a value about a product offered in Amazon, link the appropriate keywords to the products using your affiliate-specific link.  Visitors would be more inclined to click on the link because they learned more about it, and saw a great reason in your content to have it.  This can be done through reviews, examples in use-cases, and more.  

This is a great example of how a widget can help too.  It would be easy enough to target specific keywords and insert links into those keywords through a widget.

I hope this helps.