Stock Market Gadget

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I think a Stock market information and ticker display gadget would be brilliant for many business/finance related websites.  Depending on terms of use for google and or yahoo, data supply should be easy and hopefully free.

Great work guys...keep it up.

Dave

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM

I think this is a great idea for a new widget.  I have brought this up with the team, and I hope to get some input from them soon.  As the current list of TO DO items look right now, this might have to go into a v01.04.00 release.  We have two releases between now and then.

Developer
Jan 4, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Well from what I can see both Google and Yahoo have some sort of an API , so we should get some json data from that and use jquery templating for design freedom or have a simple setup ourselfes that can be set with css

Another option would be to use YQL

One thing to note I jut googles for jQuery examples with Google finance adn especially tickers but I could not find any, so leaves me wondering why isn't it there, should be somethign someone should have already tried to do

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2011 at 12:17 AM

@Nokiko:  I also had a difficult time finding any information on anyone already having done this.  I love your idea of using the jQuery templating though.

Developer
Jan 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM

This is a tricky one. Google have a JavaScript API, but it's only licensed for use in iGoogle. They also have a finance API, but it requires you to authenticate with your Google account, and for a widget that would involve having your username and password accessible at the client, so also not possible. Yahoo! does have a way of getting at stock quotes, but it's not documented and their finance feeds in general appear to be licensed for non-commercial use only, so that's probably not an option either. The obvious solution is to use the Google API on the server, but that wouldn't be a widget any more, it would be a traditional module. Maybe another Forge module is called for?