Carousel issues

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:22 AM
Edited Mar 31, 2011 at 9:53 AM

First, just want to say thank you for the widgets.

I'm using the Carousel Widget and everything seems to be working perfectly, except the <object> tag displays as a little square under the slider. I'm using IE9 and the site is running DNN 5.6.2. The demo displays fine (in IE9), but on my site I get this little square. It looks like a broken link, but without the red-X icon. Could this be a skin or CSS thing? Can't figure out how to get rid of it.

Also, FYI - the "Generate Widget Code" under the Create tab for the Carousel widget does not include the "sliderSpeed" param.

One more thing... whenever I go into the HTML module Editor and switch to HTML view, the <object> tag disappears and I have to copy-paste it back in everytime I make a change. This is probably a problem with the Editor, not the widget, but wanted to throw it out there in case others are seeing the same thing or have found a solution.

Coordinator
Mar 31, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Thank you for your participation, hfournier.  And we are very happy that you're enjoying the widget suite so far.

The HTML editor issue is something that I am not experiencing.  I regularly use the HTML editor even on the widget suite website itself to add widgets.  That's how the Facebook widget is added to all of the pages.  If you continue to have problems with it, there might be a configuration tweak you can make to yours, or use the "Basic Textbox" mode to add your object tags.

I will be placing your display issue as a work item for the next release.

Coordinator
Mar 31, 2011 at 4:48 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Mar 31, 2011 at 4:51 PM

One more thing...  I fixed the widget generator to include the missing parameter too.  :)

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:56 PM
hismightiness wrote:

The HTML editor issue is something that I am not experiencing.  I regularly use the HTML editor even on the widget suite website itself to add widgets.  That's how the Facebook widget is added to all of the pages.  If you continue to have problems with it, there might be a configuration tweak you can make to yours, or use the "Basic Textbox" mode to add your object tags.

Switching to the Basic Editor does save the <object> tag, but it loses all the line breaks, so the HTML becomes a jumbled mess and very difficult to maintain. BTW, I'm using the RadEditor by Telerik and I can't find any settings to tweak.

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Problem solved.
The Fallback Skin Doctype (Host Settings) was set to HTML 4 (Legacy). When I switched it to XHTML Transitional, the little square disappeared. And, the <object> tag now appears in the editor as it should.

May 14, 2011 at 9:05 PM
Edited May 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM

FYI when using the basic text box to enter or edit html you need to select the HTML radio button below the textbox or your line breaks will be replaced with actual break elements.

And if your skin is falling back to DNN doctype settings you need to create you skinname.doctype.xml to declare it before it has to fallback.
Check out this blog on HTML5 skinning for DNN too:

http://www.mattjura.com/home/post/62/dotnetnuke-html5-boilerplate-skinning-file-set.aspx

Coordinator
May 19, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Yeah... I know the line breaks are not preserved.  With the less complex widgets this isn't a problem.  

As far as I know, it is also something that's not configurable in the editor.